- @General Health
- @Children Health
- #Women #Health
- My List of Super Foods
- @Phytochemicals In Foods
- Men Health
- Vitamin Therapy
- @Most common Types of Cancer
- Most Common Diseases of Elders
- @Obesity's complications and Weight Loss
- @Healthy Foods Index
- @Popular Chinese Herbs
- Phytochemicals - Cancers and Diseases
- @Popular Herbs
- Dietary Minerals
- Researched Essays Through Holistic Clinical Trials and Studies
- Food Therapies
- Herbal Therapies
- Phytochemical therapy
- Alternative Therapy
- Tons of Recipes
Saturday, 18 January 2014
Herbal Cascara Sagrada and Breast cancer
Cascara sagrada is a species of buckthorn, genus Rhamnus, belonging to the family Rhamnaceae, native to western North America, it's bark has been used in traditional medicine for gastrointestinal support. and it is thought to have a laxative and natural cleansing, etc., effect.
Breast cancer (malignant breast neoplasm) is a cancer that starts in the tissues of the breast either from the inner lining of milk ducts (Ductal carcinoma) or the lobules (Lobular carcinoma) that supply the ducts with milk. there is also rare cases that breast cancer starts in other areas of the breast. In 2010, over 250,000 new cases of breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S. alone and the risk of getting invasive breast cancer during life time of a women is 1/8.
Beside the main compound of anthraquinones, otyher compounds include anthraquinone glycosides, (emodin, frangulin, iso-emodin, aloe-emodin, and chrysophanol), rhein, aloin, malic acid, tannic acid, cascarosides A, B, C, and D, and hydroxy anthracene derivatives (HAD), etc.
Emodin, a chemical component found in Cascara Sagrada, an anthraquinone derivative has been found to possess anti cancer activity by induced cell apotoposis, according to the study of the effects of emodin on Multi-drug resistance to chemotherapeutic agents, a major cause of treatment failure in breast cancer. Emodin also exerted its effect in in breast cancer cell line and may effectively reverse the multi-drug resistance in MCF-7/Adr cells and down-regulate ERCC1 protein expression.
The Side effects
1. Cascara Sagrada can be liver toxic.
2. It may cause Postal hypertension
Cascara sagrada (CS) has been associated with the development of cholestatic hepatitis, complicated by portal hypertension.
3. Fresh cut, dried bark may cause vomiting and diarrhea.
4. It may allergic effect.
Super foods Library, Eat Yourself Healthy With The Best of the Best Nature Has to Offer
Back to Popular Herbs http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca/p/popular-herbs.html
Back to Kyle J. Norton Home page http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
1. Emodin enhances cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity via down-regulation of ERCC1 and inactivation of ERK1/2. by Ko JC, Su YJ, Lin ST, Jhan JY, Ciou SC, Cheng CM, Chiu YF, Kuo YH, Tsai MS, Lin YW.(PubMed)
2. [Toxic hepatitis following consumption of the herbal medicinal product Cascara Sagrada].[Article in Danish]" by Jacobsen C, Semb S, Kromann-Andersen H(PubMed)
3. "Cascara sagrada-induced intrahepatic cholestasis causing portal hypertension: case report and review of herbal hepatotoxicity" by Nadir A, Reddy D, Van Thiel DH.(PubMed)
4. "Occupational respiratory allergic disease induced by Passiflora alata and Rhamnus purshiana" by Giavina-Bianchi PF Jr, Castro FF, Machado ML, Duarte AJ.(PubMed)