Calendula is also known as pot marigold, a annual or perennial herbaceous plants of about 12–20 species of genus Calendula, belonging to the family Asteraceae, native to Southern Europe. It has been used in herbal medicine as spasmolytic, spasmogenic, inflammatory effects and to treat abdominal cramps, wound healing, skin diseases, colitis, constipation, etc.
Beside major chemical constituents of triterpenoids, flavonoids, coumarines, quinones, volatile oil,carotenoids and amino acids, the herb also contains loliolide (calendin), calendulin and n-paraffins
Herbal Calendula (Calendula officinalis), is one of many popular herb used as medicine in Europe, China, India and many place in the world. Essential oil of Calendula flowers has found effectively used as topical cream to protect against sun radiation damage as well as maintaining the natural pigments of skin. Others in the study of the same with cutaneous application of the essential oil, showed a most effective result as creams containing 4% and 5% of Calendula essential oil caused a significant decrease oxidative stress found in malonyldialdehyde level, whereas the levels of antioxidants (catalaseEzyme, glutathione, superoxide dismutase, ascorbic acid) and the total protein level were significantly increased after 1 month of daily irradiation and treatment. Calendula extract used in the study on the mechanical parameters of the skin by using the cutometer, showed newly formulated topical cream of Calendula officinalis extract exerted its protection of skin in significant improvements in hydration and firmness. Even with the result of the studies, some researchers suggested that many data are needed such as current concentration of use data, ultraviolet (UV) absorption data, photosensitization data, dermal reproductive/developmental toxicity data; inhalation toxicity data, etc before the essential oil of Herbal Calendula can be used as ingredients of cosmetic products.
1. Calendula may cause allergic effect to certain people, symptoms include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing, etc.
2. Do not use Calendula if you are pregnant or breast feeding, diabetes, alcohol dependence or liver disease with out consulting with related field specialist
3. Overdose can be Poisson. Etc.
Chinese Secrets To Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal
Use The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve
Optimal Health And Loose Weight
Super foods Library, Eat Yourself Healthy With The Best of the Best Nature Has to Offer
Back to Popular Herbs http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca/p/popular-herbs.html
Back to Kyle J. Norton Home page http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
(1) Phytochemical Constituents and PharmacologicalActivities of Calendula officinalis Linn (Asteraceae): AReview by BP Muley, SS Khadabadi and NB Banarase (Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research)
(2) Assessment of In vitro Sun Protection Factor of Calendula Officinalis L. (Asteraceae) Essential Oil Formulation by Mishra A, Mishra A, Chattopadhyay P.(PubMed)
(3) Effects of Calendula Essential Oil-Based Cream on Biochemical Parameters of Skin of Albino Rats against Ultraviolet B Radiation by Mishra AK, Mishra A, Verma A, Chattopadhyay P.(PubMed)
(3) Final report on the safety assessment of Calendula officinalis extract and Calendula officinalis.