Yoga intervention may have a positive effect in reduced chronic neck pain, a significant public health problem with only very few evidence-based treatment options, a university study suggested.
Yoga, the ancient technique practice for harmonized external and internal body well being, through breath control, meditation, bodily movement and gesture..... has been well known for people in Western world and some parts in Asia due to health benefits reported by various respectable institutes and supported by health advocates.
In the study of total of 51 patients (mean age 47.8 y ; 82.4% female) randomized to yoga (n=25) and exercise (n=26) intervention, with the yoga group attended a 9-week yoga course and the exercise group received a self-care manual on home-based exercises for neck pain relief, researchers found that
1. After the end of the study, yoga group expressed a significantly less neck pain intensity in compared to the exercise group
2. Yoga group also showed a less disability and better mental quality of life
3. The same group also experienced improvement of motion and the pressure pain threshold.
Dr. Cramer H, the led author said, "Yoga was more effective in relieving chronic nonspecific neck pain than a home-based exercise program" and "yoga seems to influence the functional status of neckmuscles, as indicated by improvement of physiological measures of neck pain."
1. Pain intensity decreased from 48.81 to 32.31 ,
2. Neck-related disability decreased from 25.26 to 19.49 and
3. Body pain in the SF-36((short-form 36 questionnaire) improved from 49.37 to 59.26
The study also indicated that
1. Improvements in pain intensity depends in yoga practice during the past 4 weeks
2. Improved neck-related disability and bodily pain depends on regular yoga practice during the past 12 months
Dr. Cramer H,once again said, "Sustained yoga practice seems to be the most important predictor of long-term effectiveness".
1. Mean pain at rest was reduced from 44.3 to 13.0 at week 10 in yoga group
2. Pain at motion was reduced from 53.4 to 22.4 at week 10, in compared to the interval of 49.4 to 39.9 in self-care/exercise froup
3. Yoga intervention also showed significant treatment effects pain-related apprehension, disability, QOL, and psychological outcomes.
4 Yoga intervention was safe or well tolerated
You Can Eliminate Osteoarthritis
By addressing the Underlying Causes through Clinical Trials and Studies
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
FOOD HACK for Weight Loss
A Simple Cooking Technique That Cuts The Calories & Glycemic
Impact In Rice, Pasta, And Potatoes In Half
Back to Kyle J. Norton Home page http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrients, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published on line, including world wide health, ezine articles, article base, healthblogs, selfgrowth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bio science, ISSN 0975-6299.