Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)) is the third leading cause of death in the United State, inducing symptoms of breathlessness and fatigue and making physical activity more challenging.
COPD is a chronic condition caused by lung inflammation that obstructs the airflow from the lungs.
Most common symptoms of COPD are breathing difficulty, cough, mucus (sputum) production,.... and wheezing.
Yoga, the ancient practice for harmonized external and internal body well being, through breath control, meditation, bodily movement,.... and gesture.....
The technique is well known for people in the Western world and some parts in Asia due to health benefits reported by various respectable institutes' research and supported by health advocates.
In a randomized trial with two study arms (yoga and control) of total of 81 coal miners enrolled, ranging from 36 to 60 years with stage II and III stable COPD, assigned either on conventional treatment or combination of conventional care with yoga program for 12 weeks, after review the returned questionnaire, researchers found that
* Compared to other groups, yoga group displays strong improvements of COPD on all scales.
*Also, Compared to the conventional treatment group, yoga group expresses significantly positive effects in both physical and mental health status.
* Yoga group shows a strong performance in the 6-min walk distance (6MWD), compared to education the only group.
* Yoga also displays small improvements in inspiratory capacity and air trapping.
Researchers, after adjusting to other risk factors said, "Both groups had significant improvements in various measures of symptoms, but no overall differences in respiratory system impedance or markers of oxidative stress or systemic inflammation".
Truly, yoga posture and breathing practices improve blood circulation to the lung and muscle of the organ function, thus increasing the air flow to the lung in the absorption of volumes of oxygen for the body needs.
The efficacy of yoga mentioned on the above is also supported by the evaluated the effects of yoga training on the quality of life (QOL) and the parameters of lung function in patients with COPD of 33 patients with COPD satisfied with study criteria selected, after attending yoga exercises including breathing exercises, meditation, and yoga postures for 1 hour, thrice a week for 6 weeks by a certified yoga therapists.
* Yoga intervention showed an impressive improvement of vital capacity (95% CI 2.53-7.65), maximal inspiratory pressure, and maximal expiratory pressure, observed for the St. George Respiratory Questionnaire.
* The intervention also expressed short-term benefits in enhancing QOL and lung function
Natural Medicine for Fatty Liver And Obesity Reversal - The Revolutionary Findings To Achieve Optimal Health And Lose Weight
How To Get Rid Of Eye Floaters
Contrary To Professionals Prediction, Floaters Can Be Cured Naturally
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blog, self-growth, best before it's news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada - Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) A randomized controlled study on assessment of health status, depression, and anxiety in coal miners with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease following yogatraining by Ranjita R1, Badhai S1, Hankey A1, Nagendra HR1.(PubMed)
(2) Effect of Yoga Breathing (Pranayama) on Exercise Tolerance in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Randomized, Controlled Trial by Kaminsky DA1,2, Guntupalli KK3, Lippmann J2, Burns SM2, Brock MA3, Skelly J4, DeSarno M4, Pecott-Grimm H2, Mohsin A3, LaRock-McMahon C2, Warren P5, Whitney MC6, Hanania NA3.(PubMed)
(3) Yoga-based pulmonary rehabilitation for the management of dyspnea in coal miners with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A randomized controlled trial by Ranjita R1, Hankey A2, Nagendra HR2, Mohanty S2.(PubMed)
(4) Effect of yoga in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease by Fulambarker A1, Farooki B, Kheir F, Copur AS, Srinivasan L, Schultz S.(PubMed)
(5) Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Treatment & Management
Updated: Jul 25, 2018, by Author: Zab Mosenifar, MD, FACP, FCCP; Chief Editor: John J Oppenheimer, MD more (Netscape)